ON DECEMBER 3, 1957, the first milk processing plant in the country was inaugurated. Located in Highway 54 (present day EDSA) in Mandaluyong Rizal (now Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila), the Liberty Milk plant was a subsidiary of General Milk which, at that time, operated 18 processing plants and 10 can factories in 12 countries. The plant was also the first in the Far East.
Locally produced Liberty milk was selling at from 25 to 28 centavos a can as compared to the 30 to 40 centavos a can of imported evaporated milk.
Darigold, a milk processing plant of another company, Consolidated Philippines, Inc, was also inaugurated shortly after.