ANGELES CITY – Billowing smoke coming from Marquee Mall in Barangay Pulung Maragul here adjacent to the North Luzon Expressway toll gate caused a mild panic inside the mall shortly after it opened Tuesday.
Netizens also began reporting on social media that the mall was on fire.
However, it was learned from reliable sources that the pipe where smoke comes out of one of the mall restaurants clogged up causing the smoke to escape to the mall.
The incident also caused a small fire which aggravated the situation and contributed to the mushrooming smoke.
But mall authorities were quick to respond to the incident as well the fire department as they closed the mall until everything was placed under control.
No injuries were reported due to the incident.
The following is the official statement of Marquee Mall on the incident.
“On June 25 at around 10:15 a.m., a minor fire incident occurred at one of the food stalls inside Metro Supermarket. The mall immediately assisted customers and mall employees to evacuate the immediate area.
“At 10:30 a.m., the Bureau of Fire Protection declared fire under control and official fire out at 10:35am, and the mall has begun to allow customers and mall employees to enter the mall. Fortunately, no injury was reported during the incident.
“Rest assured that Marquee Mall is not affected and the safety of our shoppers is our utmost concern as we resume normal mall operations. Thank you.”