MARIVELES, Bataan- Fishermen from Bataan on Thursday said they have stopped going to the Scarborough Shoal for fear of Chinese authorities.
Lugie Bagani, fishing boat Lucky 12 captain, estimated that about 40 fishing boats from the province alone used to fi sh in the disputed area claimed by the Philippines as Bajo de Masinloc. “Huminto nang lahat,” he said.
The boat skipper from Sisiman fishing village here said the last time they went to Scarborough was more than a month ago. He claimed that they experienced being doused with sea water last year.
“Hindi na kami bumalik doon dahil itinataboy kami, pinasisiritan kami ng tubig-dagat mula sa hose,” Bagani said. He said that Scarborough Shoal is a rich fishing ground that with the use of kawil they caught tanigue, bariles and yellow fin, among some other fish.
It takes fishermen from Sisiman to reach Scarborugh also known as Panatag Shoal in one day and one night travel. They stay there for a week. “Tulungan sana kami ng gobyerno sa problema sa Scarborough dahil humina ang huli namin,” Bagani said.
He said that they shifted fishing in the area near Palawan where most of the fishermen from Sisiman also go.
Meanwhile, a fisherman claimed that suspected Vietnamese are undertaking fishing activities at a portion of the West Philippines Sea about 100 to 120 miles from Sisiman. He said that the foreign fishermen are using long line and pagulong.