CITY OF SAN FERNANDO – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will infuse some P5.8 billion infrastructure projects in Central Luzon this year as part of the massive modernization plan of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
DPWH Regional Director Engr. Alfredo Tolentino, in a press conference on Friday, said the province of Pampanga will get the big chunk of the projects, mostly building of roads and bridges.
Arroyo is personally overseeing the planning and management of all projects under the government’s emergency program, Tolentino said.
He said the DPWH’s projects are not part of the P1 billion funds for the rehabilitation of Bacolor town in Pampanga.
He also announced that the DPWH in the region had been awarded as the best regional office due to quality projects in Central Luzon.
Tolentino said some 17 winning contractors of the multi-billion projects will be at their office here and 14 district engineering offices on March 9 for the simultaneous jobs fairs. He added that “these job fairs are aimed at providing work for the displaced OFW’s who were forced to come home after suffering retrenchment from their places of work abroad and to generate more jobs.”
Tolentino said they are targeting residents of Pampanga, Bataan, Tarlac, Nueva Ecija, Zambales, Bulacan and Aurora.
The DPWH said there will be job openings for machine operators, drivers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, masons, laborers, foremen, engineers, surveyors and clerks.
Tolentino said the jobs fair is in addition to the Comprehensive Livelihood and Employment Emergency (CLEEP) program which is aimed at lessening the effects of the global crisis in the country.
Last year, the DPWH Central office recorded that some 115 contractors hired 2,300 employees from recent job fairs
“We expect many people in our offices on Monday [today] for the simultaneous jobs fairs. We expect to surpass the number of hired workers last month,” Tolentino said. He also added that the nationwide employment generation program of the DPWH will be a continuing effort until the target goal of providing 500,000 jobs is met.
DPWH Regional Director Engr. Alfredo Tolentino, in a press conference on Friday, said the province of Pampanga will get the big chunk of the projects, mostly building of roads and bridges.
Arroyo is personally overseeing the planning and management of all projects under the government’s emergency program, Tolentino said.
He said the DPWH’s projects are not part of the P1 billion funds for the rehabilitation of Bacolor town in Pampanga.
He also announced that the DPWH in the region had been awarded as the best regional office due to quality projects in Central Luzon.
Tolentino said some 17 winning contractors of the multi-billion projects will be at their office here and 14 district engineering offices on March 9 for the simultaneous jobs fairs. He added that “these job fairs are aimed at providing work for the displaced OFW’s who were forced to come home after suffering retrenchment from their places of work abroad and to generate more jobs.”
Tolentino said they are targeting residents of Pampanga, Bataan, Tarlac, Nueva Ecija, Zambales, Bulacan and Aurora.
The DPWH said there will be job openings for machine operators, drivers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, masons, laborers, foremen, engineers, surveyors and clerks.
Tolentino said the jobs fair is in addition to the Comprehensive Livelihood and Employment Emergency (CLEEP) program which is aimed at lessening the effects of the global crisis in the country.
Last year, the DPWH Central office recorded that some 115 contractors hired 2,300 employees from recent job fairs
“We expect many people in our offices on Monday [today] for the simultaneous jobs fairs. We expect to surpass the number of hired workers last month,” Tolentino said. He also added that the nationwide employment generation program of the DPWH will be a continuing effort until the target goal of providing 500,000 jobs is met.