NPA rebels deny violating ceasefire in calamity areas

    377
    0
    SHARE
    ANGELES CITY – The New People’s Army (NPA) strongly denied violating its ceasefire commitments in areas devastated by recent floods in Northern Luzon as it deplored  alleged anomalies involving big cash rewards offered  for the capture of alleged rebels.

    In a message to Punto, Diego Wadagan, spokesperson of the NPA’s Agustin Begnalen Command, denounced as false the claim of the Armed Forces Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) that the NPA violated recently ceasefire commitments in regard to recent the killing of Army TSgt. Bartolome Valencia in Abra.

    Last week, Nolcom spokesperson Maj. Rosendo Armas told Punto that Valencia was killed by an NPA rebel identified as Edwin Balawag in Lacub, Abra. The victim was on his way to visit his family after his involvement in relief and rescue operations in flooded areas in the province. He said Valencia was unarmed.

    Wadagan, however, accused both the police and the military of “twisting facts” so as “to score propaganda point against the NPA.”

    “Edwin Balawag alias Bagyan, is not an NPA, but a bodyguard of a former Mayor of Lacub, Abra,” he noted.

    Wadagan related that “on Dec. 1, 2009, Edwin Balawag, along with his wife Rosemarie, and Edgardo Molina, in a controversial move and much-publicized incident, surrendered to PNP Supt. Ricardo  Dayag of the PNP’s 103rd PPMG based in Ilocos Sur.”

    “But instead of being presented as NPA surrenderees, then PNP Deputy Director General Jesus Versoza presented Balawag, his wife and Molina as top ranking NPAs captured in Lacub. The charade was masterminded by a warlord and PNP officials to collect bounty rewards for the capture of the Balawags and Molina. Immediately after being presented to the media, the Balawags were released and Edwin Balawag since then, has been under the custody of a former Mayor of Lacub,” he said.  

    “The NPA in Abra province did not violate the NPA’s unilateral ceasefire declaration from October 15 to October 21, 2009. Edwin Balawag alias Bagyan, is not connected in any way with the revolutionary movement ever since he surrendered in December 1, 2009,” he stressed.

    Wadagan also reported that “in fact, Edwin Balawag brazenly tucks a .45 pistol and roams freely with the knowledge of local PNP officers and personnel, and soldiers and officers of the 41st IB operating and stationed in Lacub and Baay-Licuan.”

    The NPA also denied Nolcom’s spotty report that Valencia had been engaged in rescue and relief operations when he was killed.

    “The 41st IB, especially it’s Alpha and Charlie Coys based in Lacub and Baay-Licuan respectively, had not been engaged in relief, rehabilitation and rescue,” Wadagan said, citing published reports.

    Contrary to Nolcom’s claim, Wadagan said that Valencia was armed with a .45 pistol when he was shot.

    Wadagan also denied that Valencia was killed helplessly. He cited witnesses as saying that on the day of the killing, Balawag and Valencia were in drinking spree which led to a heated argument.

    “Both reached for their pistols but Balawag shot Valencia first. The .45 pistol of Valencia was taken by Balawag after the incident,” he noted.

    Wadagan quoted “sources” as saying that Valencia was reportedly the finance officer of Alpha Coy of the 41st IB and had P200,000 payroll money in his possession when he was killed.

    Wadagan lamented that “funds for rebel-returnees such as those intended for the Social Integration Program have become sources of graft and corruption, as bounty money for capture of purported NPA leaders are being collected by politicians and their cohorts in the armed forces and the police.”


    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here