TWENTY DAYS and seven months. That’s all that remain in their term of office but Governor Eddie T. Panlilio and the sangguniang panlalawigan are still at it, promising to end that term the way it started – with irreconcilable differences.
In the wake of the destruction wrought by the recent series of typhoons on agriculture and infrastructure, Panlilio’s office requested the SP that the amount of P45,999,906 in unexpended balances from 2009’s supplemental budget be reverted to the unappropriated balance and earmarked for the special assistance for education program amounting to P4.9 million; the rice subsidy program for calamity victims at P20 million; the honoraria of Capitol choir members at P126,000; and the repair and rehabilitation of bridges at P20.9 million.
Panlilio’s proposed reversion was met by the SP’s – notably Board Members Ric Yabut and Tars Halili – counter-proposal of diversion.
Halili argued: “The SP has already approved the governor’s request for P54 million in calamity funds. Why do we have to revert P46 million more for further calamity assistance?”
To Halili, the P46 million would better serve the health needs of the people by funneling it to the district hospitals which are in dire need of medicines and medical facilities and equipment.
Lamented Halili: “Itong ospital natin sa Mabalacat ay sira na ang X-ray machine na panahon pa yata ni Magellan. Ang mga pasyente ay agawan sa oxygen tanks. Ginagamit pa ng isa, hinuhugot na ng iba (At our hospital in Mabalacat, the antiquated X-ray machine has long broken down. The patients fight over oxygen tanks.)”
Similar plaints are voiced by Yabut: “Our hospital in San Luis is in urgent need of emergency assistance. It has no electricity, no operating room, lacks sufficient facilities, on top of being flood-prone.”
Aside from the improvement of the district hospitals, Yabut suggested that the unexpended funds be diverted to the provision of PhilHealth cards for indigents and volunteer workers.
“In the 4th District alone, there are a number of barangay workers and volunteers devoid of any benefits like the PhilHealth cards. We think it would be wise if these funds are converted to health benefits rather than to more calamity assistance, as we have already appropriated funds for that,” Yabut said.
Still putative (?) Provincial Administrator Atty. Vivian Dabu did her own reversion – of the tables, so to speak – on Halili and Yabut.
Dabu said as early as August – before the typhoon outbreak in the country – the Office of the Governor had already forwarded to the SP a request for some P35 million for the renovation of the district hospitals and purchase of medical equipment.
“We actually have two supplemental budget requests filed with the SP. The P45 million was filed last October 12 and the other one last August containing the P35 million for the purchase of hospital equipment and repair of hospitals. And they have not granted that (the latter) until now,” Dabu said.
Going to the specific plaints of Yabut and Halili, respectively, Dabu said the repair of the San Luis district hospital “is up for bidding now,” with the provincial government assuring funding for it; while the chief of the Mabalacat hospital preferred the repair of the old X-ray machine over the purchase of a new one, “which could be of poor quality.” Whatever that clause meant.
Dabu stood pat on the reversion of the unexpended funds to programs and activities as laid down by the Office of the Governor, claiming that the SP-approved P54-million calamity fund is insufficient, given the P700 million in damages to the infrastructure and agricultural crops in Pampanga.
Panlilio’s reversion on collision with the SP’s diversion. Irresistible force meeting an immovable object. Something’s really got to give.
Meanwhile at the Capitol, at the SP specifically, the long lines of indigents seeking financial assistance get longer by the week.
In the wake of the destruction wrought by the recent series of typhoons on agriculture and infrastructure, Panlilio’s office requested the SP that the amount of P45,999,906 in unexpended balances from 2009’s supplemental budget be reverted to the unappropriated balance and earmarked for the special assistance for education program amounting to P4.9 million; the rice subsidy program for calamity victims at P20 million; the honoraria of Capitol choir members at P126,000; and the repair and rehabilitation of bridges at P20.9 million.
Panlilio’s proposed reversion was met by the SP’s – notably Board Members Ric Yabut and Tars Halili – counter-proposal of diversion.
Halili argued: “The SP has already approved the governor’s request for P54 million in calamity funds. Why do we have to revert P46 million more for further calamity assistance?”
To Halili, the P46 million would better serve the health needs of the people by funneling it to the district hospitals which are in dire need of medicines and medical facilities and equipment.
Lamented Halili: “Itong ospital natin sa Mabalacat ay sira na ang X-ray machine na panahon pa yata ni Magellan. Ang mga pasyente ay agawan sa oxygen tanks. Ginagamit pa ng isa, hinuhugot na ng iba (At our hospital in Mabalacat, the antiquated X-ray machine has long broken down. The patients fight over oxygen tanks.)”
Similar plaints are voiced by Yabut: “Our hospital in San Luis is in urgent need of emergency assistance. It has no electricity, no operating room, lacks sufficient facilities, on top of being flood-prone.”
Aside from the improvement of the district hospitals, Yabut suggested that the unexpended funds be diverted to the provision of PhilHealth cards for indigents and volunteer workers.
“In the 4th District alone, there are a number of barangay workers and volunteers devoid of any benefits like the PhilHealth cards. We think it would be wise if these funds are converted to health benefits rather than to more calamity assistance, as we have already appropriated funds for that,” Yabut said.
Still putative (?) Provincial Administrator Atty. Vivian Dabu did her own reversion – of the tables, so to speak – on Halili and Yabut.
Dabu said as early as August – before the typhoon outbreak in the country – the Office of the Governor had already forwarded to the SP a request for some P35 million for the renovation of the district hospitals and purchase of medical equipment.
“We actually have two supplemental budget requests filed with the SP. The P45 million was filed last October 12 and the other one last August containing the P35 million for the purchase of hospital equipment and repair of hospitals. And they have not granted that (the latter) until now,” Dabu said.
Going to the specific plaints of Yabut and Halili, respectively, Dabu said the repair of the San Luis district hospital “is up for bidding now,” with the provincial government assuring funding for it; while the chief of the Mabalacat hospital preferred the repair of the old X-ray machine over the purchase of a new one, “which could be of poor quality.” Whatever that clause meant.
Dabu stood pat on the reversion of the unexpended funds to programs and activities as laid down by the Office of the Governor, claiming that the SP-approved P54-million calamity fund is insufficient, given the P700 million in damages to the infrastructure and agricultural crops in Pampanga.
Panlilio’s reversion on collision with the SP’s diversion. Irresistible force meeting an immovable object. Something’s really got to give.
Meanwhile at the Capitol, at the SP specifically, the long lines of indigents seeking financial assistance get longer by the week.