GUAGUA, Pampanga – “The ball is now in the hands of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). I already did my part on the piggery and poultry problem in Porac.”
Thus said Gov. Lilia “Baby” Pineda in the dialect yesterday following her inspection of three of the 10 prominent piggeries in Barangays Sta. Cruz and Manibaug-Paralaya, Porac last Friday.
Pineda said he asked Porac Mayor Condradito “Carling” De La Cruz not to issue business permits to the hog farms, halting the latter’s operations this year. She was accompanied by Second District Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and Monterey piggery farm experts in the inspection.
Pineda said the DENR and the Environment Management Bureau (EMB) were tasked to determine if there are violations committed by hog farm operators.
“The DENR and EMB have the expertise and the equipment to determine the cause of foul odor reportedly caused by the piggeries. The provincial government dares them to do their part now,” said Pineda, who spoke to Punto during the opening of the Head Injury Unit (HIU) of the Diosdado Macapagal Memorial Hospital (DMMH) here.
Asked if she agrees with complaint that piggeries in Porac cause foul odor, Pineda said “Oo, talagang mabaho (Yes, it really stinks).
The barangay chairmen of Barangays Manibaug-Paralaya and Sta. Cruz in Porac refused to give permits to prominent hog raisers as ordered by Pineda in the wake of complaints against poultries and piggeries earlier this year.
Manibaug-Paralaya Barangay Captain Andrian Carreon and Sta. Cruz Village Chief Bong Sicat said they will not give clearances to the hog farms in their respective jurisdiction. There are about 10 piggeries in both villages.
Board Member Nestor Tolentino, chairman of the committee on environment, disclosed that “only three among the 10 piggeries they inspected passed the tests conducted by his group.” He accompanied Pineda and Arroyo during the inspection.
He has yet to give the names of those they inspected. “I am still preparing my report. I will give them after I am done with it.”
Tolentino said Pineda and Arroyo asked Monterey personnel to accompany them in the inspection to show the violations committed by each piggery.
Thus said Gov. Lilia “Baby” Pineda in the dialect yesterday following her inspection of three of the 10 prominent piggeries in Barangays Sta. Cruz and Manibaug-Paralaya, Porac last Friday.
Pineda said he asked Porac Mayor Condradito “Carling” De La Cruz not to issue business permits to the hog farms, halting the latter’s operations this year. She was accompanied by Second District Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and Monterey piggery farm experts in the inspection.
Pineda said the DENR and the Environment Management Bureau (EMB) were tasked to determine if there are violations committed by hog farm operators.
“The DENR and EMB have the expertise and the equipment to determine the cause of foul odor reportedly caused by the piggeries. The provincial government dares them to do their part now,” said Pineda, who spoke to Punto during the opening of the Head Injury Unit (HIU) of the Diosdado Macapagal Memorial Hospital (DMMH) here.
Asked if she agrees with complaint that piggeries in Porac cause foul odor, Pineda said “Oo, talagang mabaho (Yes, it really stinks).
The barangay chairmen of Barangays Manibaug-Paralaya and Sta. Cruz in Porac refused to give permits to prominent hog raisers as ordered by Pineda in the wake of complaints against poultries and piggeries earlier this year.
Manibaug-Paralaya Barangay Captain Andrian Carreon and Sta. Cruz Village Chief Bong Sicat said they will not give clearances to the hog farms in their respective jurisdiction. There are about 10 piggeries in both villages.
Board Member Nestor Tolentino, chairman of the committee on environment, disclosed that “only three among the 10 piggeries they inspected passed the tests conducted by his group.” He accompanied Pineda and Arroyo during the inspection.
He has yet to give the names of those they inspected. “I am still preparing my report. I will give them after I am done with it.”
Tolentino said Pineda and Arroyo asked Monterey personnel to accompany them in the inspection to show the violations committed by each piggery.