Rodriguez was joined by Melvin F. Dizon of Mexico town and Rodel C. Tiglao of San Luis in a press conference at his residence here over the weekend, after they were finally ordered released from prison on May 8. The two endured exactly 11 years and two months behind bars for various counts of serious criminal offenses ranging from five robberies, three rapes, five frustrated homicides, five homicides, five frustrated murders and five murders – 28 counts in all.
Dizon, 31, and Tiglao, 35, were students at the Pampanga State Agricultural University (then known as Pampanga Agricultural College) in Magalang, Pampanga when they and four of their classmates went to the Hawaii Restaurant in Balibago, Angeles City on February 10, 2006 to watch a live band perform on stage.
Little did they know then that the “good time” with their classmates was the start of their more than a decade-long ordeal.
Policemen in plainclothes arrested them at around 4:30 a.m. and brought them to a nearby police station allegedly for “verification.”
At the light of day, they were brought to the prosecutor who charged them with robbery with homicide after a lone witness tagged them.
It was alleged that on the wee hours of the morning of February 5, 2006, an incident happened at St. Ignatius Subdivision in Barangay Pandan, Angeles City where a certain Roy Aquino was mortally wounded after being shot in the armpit during a robbery perpetrated by four unidentified men.
No warrant
The two policemen identified as Police Officers Ruben Calumag and Arnold Nagayo, who were not members of the police station in Barangay Pulung Maragul, apprehended them despite the absence of any search or arrest warrants.
It was also established by the court that at the time of their arrests, Dizon and Tiglao “were just inside the said restaurant not doing any crime.”
Dizon and Tiglao said they started attending weekly hearings on their robbery with homicide case when on March 17, 2006, they were again arrested by policemen, but this time, for rape.
Dizon said two girls, with their heads completely covered, pointed to them as the suspects. However, Tiglao said the alleged rape was not even recorded in the blotter of the barangay. It was also the start of their incarceration.
Fiscal Percival Atenaja elevated the case in court, he said.
Since then, he said, “every week may dumarating na kaso laban sa amin (there were cases coming in every week against us).”
“Dumating na po yung kaso sa San Fernando, murder cases,” he said.
Then on April 5, 2006, he said they were also charged with another case in Tarlac City even if they were already in jail since March 17.
The Tarlac case was the first to be dismissed, he said, since we only got a certificate of detention and filed it with the fiscal, Dizon recalled.
After one month in detention at the Angeles City District Jail, Dizon said the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) made a request for them to be included in the police lineup in Camp Crame “that is why we had so many cases including Paranaque and even in Batangas.”
“There was a private complainant that pointed to us in court for every case but mostly they only showed up during the first hearing that is why the cases were dismissed,” Dizon narrated.
He said in Batangas they attended hearings only up to seven or eight times in a span of more than a year because the witness never showed up in court again after their arraignment.
“Maybe the witness realized that we were not the perpetrators,” he said. “But we were convicted in Paranaque and transferred to the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP) in Muntinlupa.”
“We were charged in Paranaque with four counts of murder with frustrated murder and the case lasted eight years,” he said. “We were sentenced to four reclusion perpetua.”
God is good
“Noong panahon na yon gusto na pu namin tumakbo na para barilin na lang kame. Pumasok narin po sa isip namin na mang agaw ng armas pero mabait po talaga ang Diyos kaya siguro nandito pa rin pu kame ngayon (During those times, we wanted to run so that the policemen could just shoot us. It also came to our mind to grab some fi rearms but God is really good that is why we are still here),” he narrated.
It was at that point that Dizon’s father, Antonio, 66, decided to approach then congressman Rodriguez who had a reputation for helping those in need of legal assistance.
“Nang tamaan na pu kame sa Paranaque, nag -ecide na po ang tatay ko na lumapit kay Oca Rodriguez (When we were convicted in Paranaque, my father decided to seek the help of Oca Rodriguez),” Dizon said.
“Kase nasabi po na tumutulung talaga siya at hangad naming matulungan kami kahit sa pag-appeal lang sa Court of Appeals (Because it was said that he really lend assistance and we need him to help us even for just filing our case in the Court of Appeals),” he said.
“Nag-appeal po kami tapos ni-reverse ng Court of Appeals ang desisyon at na-acquit po kami pero may natitira pa kaming mga kaso dito sa Angeles kaya binalik kami sa city jail (We made an appeal in the Court of Appeals and it reversed the decision and we were acquitted but we still have pending cases in Angeles that is why we were ordered back in jail in Angeles),” he narrated.
Dizon said they were incarcerated for two years and three months at the NBP.
His father Antonio, a tailor and former barangay official, was profuse in thanking Rodriguez.
Dismissed
Back in Angeles City, the robbery with homicide case was transferred from Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 56 to RTC Branch 60 where it was finally dismissed.
Rodriguez said his clients seek peace and wants to move on after suffering and losing their youth behind bars that is why they are no longer interested in filing a case against the state.
“Gusto nila ng katahimikan na kaya hindi na nila ihahabla ang estado,” Rodriguez said. “Para magkaroon na ng magandang bukas (So that they can have a better tomorrow).”
Rodriguez said Dizon and Tiglao were victims of a fl awed criminal justice system and was convinced of their innocence after studying their cases which spanned Central and Southern Luzon.
He said he has come across this modus operandi when he was still mayor.
Rodriguez also commended Atty. Andres Villaruel, Dizon and Tiglao’s lawyer, who never let up but unfortunately died recently. He said the efforts of Villaruel led to the dismissal of most of the cases.
Rodriguez also cited former Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma who stood as lawyer on record for Dizon and Tiglao in their petition for early resolution in the CA which came out to their favor after two weeks.