Thus said Rommel De Jesus, former head of the administration of the Pampanga quarry task force, as he expressed disappointment over the “sad plight” of the BALAS quarry task members who have staged protest actions in front of the Capitol grounds since last year. The group was reportedly dismissed illegally by Gov. Eddie Panlilio and Provincial Administrator Atty. Vivian Dabu.
“The award is half-baked,” he said.
De Jesus also said “there is no doubt that Dabu and the governor were indeed instrumental in winning the award but what about the other officials and workers?” He was assigned as provincial information officer (PIO) after his stint in the quarry task force.
De Jesus said he and former PIO Marissa Mercado were the ones who made the presentation for the Galing Pook award necessary to the annual contest.
“We and others were part of it and I am really happy for the Balas boys,” he added.
On February 13, Panlilio received the award from President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo at the Malacanang Palace. They were cited for its efficient quarry collection program.
Archie Reyes, former chief of staff of Panlilio, echoed the sentiments of De Jesus. He is now the public relations and communications manager of Subic Clark Alliance for Development Council (SCADC).
He said SCADC Chairman Edgardo Pamintuan and First District Rep. Carmelo “Tarzan” Lazatin had convinced Panlilio to create a committee to efficiently collect quarry collections in Pampanga.
“I was there in the meeting at Clark with Sec. Pamintuan and the solon just after he won. The two advised Panlilio what to do about the quarry industry,” said Reyes.
“I am pointing this out to Dabu and Panlilio so that they should manifest that they can do it all for the success of Pampanga,” he added.
But Reyes stressed that Dabu and Panlilio should be “greatly credited for the award.”
Panlilio have yet to return calls for his comments.