MALOLOS CITY—Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Lito Atienza has stopped the operations of two firms in Bulacan and Cebu City for violating the Philippine Clean Water Act or Republic Act No. 9275 and other environmental laws.
In a statement, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in Central Luzon identified the firms as Meng Hong Trading, engaged in extracting bunker oil from used tires in Norzagaray, Bulacan, and Cebu Precious Metal Resources, Inc., a gold refinery in Labangon, Cebu City.
Both firms were issued with cease and desist orders recently by the DENR’s Pollution Adjudication Board (PAB).
“The DENR has always taken a supportive stance on local industries. However, we are committed to enforce our environmental laws, particularly the Clean Water Act, so as not to further aggravate the miserable condition of our water bodies,” Atienza said.
Atienza said the companies will not be allowed to operate until they have fully complied with the requirements of the PAB. “The Board will not consider any motion for a temporary lifting order unless the companies have fully complied with our requirements.”
Records showed that Meng Hong was issued a notice of violation in July last year. However, instead of attending the technical conference called by the Environmental Management Bureau –Region 3 to address the environmental issues raised against the company, Meng Hong snubbed the invitation and continued with its operation.
This prompted the regional EMB office to conduct a follow-up inspection, including the taking of air and effluent samples on July 31, 2008. The EMB team was accompanied in the follow-up inspection by Norzagaray Mayor Feliciano Legazpi and reporters Dino Balabo of the Philippine Star and Louie Angeles of Radyo ng Bayan.
Results of the follow-up inspection indicated that the company’s air sample was found to be compliant to the standard for total suspended particulates (TSP).
However, the effluent samples taken from the company’s wastewater have exceedingly failed the standard for oil and grease.
Meng Hong was likewise found to be operating without appropriate environmental permits, such as environmental compliance certificate, permit to operate air pollution facilities and discharge permit for its effluents.
The company was not also registered in the EMB as a hazardous waste generator.
In its order, the PAB directed Meng Hong to submit a comprehensive pollution control program and a surety bond equivalent to 25% of the total cost of its pollution control program.
The firm was likewise asked to submit a detailed description of the interim remedial measures that it will institute to mitigate pollution, employ a pollution control officer, and a notarized undertaking that the firm’s president will comply with all the conditions set by the PAB.
In a statement, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in Central Luzon identified the firms as Meng Hong Trading, engaged in extracting bunker oil from used tires in Norzagaray, Bulacan, and Cebu Precious Metal Resources, Inc., a gold refinery in Labangon, Cebu City.
Both firms were issued with cease and desist orders recently by the DENR’s Pollution Adjudication Board (PAB).
“The DENR has always taken a supportive stance on local industries. However, we are committed to enforce our environmental laws, particularly the Clean Water Act, so as not to further aggravate the miserable condition of our water bodies,” Atienza said.
Atienza said the companies will not be allowed to operate until they have fully complied with the requirements of the PAB. “The Board will not consider any motion for a temporary lifting order unless the companies have fully complied with our requirements.”
Records showed that Meng Hong was issued a notice of violation in July last year. However, instead of attending the technical conference called by the Environmental Management Bureau –Region 3 to address the environmental issues raised against the company, Meng Hong snubbed the invitation and continued with its operation.
This prompted the regional EMB office to conduct a follow-up inspection, including the taking of air and effluent samples on July 31, 2008. The EMB team was accompanied in the follow-up inspection by Norzagaray Mayor Feliciano Legazpi and reporters Dino Balabo of the Philippine Star and Louie Angeles of Radyo ng Bayan.
Results of the follow-up inspection indicated that the company’s air sample was found to be compliant to the standard for total suspended particulates (TSP).
However, the effluent samples taken from the company’s wastewater have exceedingly failed the standard for oil and grease.
Meng Hong was likewise found to be operating without appropriate environmental permits, such as environmental compliance certificate, permit to operate air pollution facilities and discharge permit for its effluents.
The company was not also registered in the EMB as a hazardous waste generator.
In its order, the PAB directed Meng Hong to submit a comprehensive pollution control program and a surety bond equivalent to 25% of the total cost of its pollution control program.
The firm was likewise asked to submit a detailed description of the interim remedial measures that it will institute to mitigate pollution, employ a pollution control officer, and a notarized undertaking that the firm’s president will comply with all the conditions set by the PAB.